On the lookout for the hottest in job trends? This month's Human Capital Law and Policy looks at the latest on the updated Labour Market Outlook, 2017 - 2027 Edition by WorkBC.
- The government anticipates 917,000 job openings over the next decade. Some 277,000 of these will be “new” positions created by ongoing economic and industrial growth, while the majority—roughly 70% of future vacancies —will arise as current workers transition into retirement.
- BC's current population will not be able to fill all of the positions expected to emerge. The supply of workers will have to be expanded through a combination of in-migration and tapping into underutilized labour pools.
- Two-thirds of job openings over the next decade will be in the Mainland/Southwest region.
- Health and Professional, Scientific & Technical Services sectors will post the highest number of new jobs by 2027.
- Approximately 78% of job openings will demand some level of post-secondary education or training.
- Looking ahead, access to labour will continue to be the biggest concern for the BC business community.